With so many options in the market, it can seem overwhelming to choose an insurance broker. Before making any decision, it is important to be well informed. Firstly, do all your researches and get in touch with 5-8 brokers. Ask questions and check their credentials. You should choose the broker who provides you best policy as per the specific needs. This is the need if you wish to get the maximum out of finance. The role of insurance broker is immense when you plan to buy a policy. He is the one who surveys the market and brings various opinions to be reviewed by you. Brokers function with several insurance companies and thus they can offer you the best options. Follow the below stated tips to arrive at the best broker.
- Brokers do receive commission on the number of insurance products they sell. Make sure, the insurance broker is licensed and has passed all the examinations and undergone relevant training. He must be an independent broker working along with several companies.
- Decide whether you want any specialized broker or a general kind of broker. A specialize broker will be expert at handling home insurance or auto insurance or life insurance. On the other hand, there is another category of broker who offers a variety of insurance products covering personal and business.
To start making your searches, you can directly go to the California Department of Insurance website. Enter the name of the company you wish to review along with the NAIC number or National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Those companies that have complaints registered, they need to be avoided. Check out for probable complaints and the number of lawsuits investigated by the Attorney General Office. Such things can be found easily in Consumer Complain section. You can also check out the website of Better Business Bureau. Collect all the relevant information on the history of the broker prior to proceeding. Make sure the broker has a good reputation in the market.
- When you meet the broker face to face, ask a lot of questions. Interviewing him can give you a lot of idea about his level of experience. This way, you can also access his track record. Ask him how long he has been in the field and what kind of insurance products he has arranged. Apart from these general questions, ask the following questions as well:
- What is your level of expertise in insurance?
- What will be the processing time for the claim?
- What kind of policies you offer?
- What coverage you recommend for my purpose?
- How often may I review or change my coverage?
- Why are you choosing this company or this product for me?
- Enquire about the testimonials and references of past clients. It is always great to take recommendation from friends and family.
Get to know about the overall experience level of the broker. Only when you are comfortable with the broker choose him. Pay attention to his details and the past records.